Navigating California's New Food Handler Law
Starting January 1, 2024, California will require employers to cover all costs related to food handler training. According to Senate Bill 476 (SB 476), employers must pay for training programs and compensate employees for time spent in training.
4 Easy Steps to Get Started Today
- Create your Business Account with our one-page Quick Setup
- Purchase course tokens — buy ahead & save up to an additional 15%. Each token is valid for one year.
- Share tokens with your team to redeem for training
- Track training progress, certificates and more with our convenient online Manager Dashboard
A Closer Look at SB 476
SB 476 brings significant changes to California food handler law. While many existing requirements remain the same, the primary change is that employers are now responsible for the cost of food handler training.
Starting January 1, 2024, California employers must:
- Pay for training and other costs associated with obtaining a food handler card
- Compensate employees at their standard rate for time spent in food handler training and testing
- Relieve employees of their normal job duties while taking the course or exam
- Not require new job applicants to have a valid food handler card as a condition of employment
State law still requires the majority of food employees to complete ANAB-accredited food handler training within 30 days of being hired. Food handler cards issued upon course completion remain valid for three years.
While food handler training is mandatory for most people who handle or prepare food, some employees are exempt.
Examples of locations that do not require food handler training include:
- Certified farmers markets
- Grocery stores (except for separately owned food facilities inside a grocery store)
- Licensed health care facilities
- Public and private school cafeterias
- And more
For a complete list of locations where food handlers are not required to have a food handler card, see the full version of SB 476.
Train Your Team with eFoodcard and eFoodHandlers
Our partnership with eFoodHandlers brings over 50 years of combined food safety training experience to the California food and restaurant industry.
Streamline training for your team with an eFoodHandlers business account. You'll benefit from one-click purchases, effortless course distribution and real-time tracking of your team's progress and certificates.
Whether you have one team to train or multiple business locations, we are committed to providing you with cost-effective food handler training solutions. We offer a comprehensive library of food safety courses for your food and beverage employees.
- Secure ANAB-accredited and California-approved training
- Maximize savings by pre-purchasing for your group and assign courses throughout the year
- Track and manage employee training progress and certificates in real time
- Employees can instantly download and print certificates or order by mail